Tuesday, May 25, 2010

***On a side note….as we were waiting for everyone to get ready to go to the Nakumatt we were standing by the car outside the entrance to Daystar University and Rachel and I saw a man fall down partially in the road and start to seize. I threw down my purse and stuff in the car and ran to help the gentleman out. When I got to the scene he was on his back foaming at the mouth convulsing violently. I moved him to his side so that he would not choke or suffocate while he was seizing. Also, he was very near the road and both of us were almost hit multiple times. Therefore, I asked for people to help me move him to the sidewalk. He then went unconscious and stopped breathing. I checked his pulses and they were there but thready. At that moment I began to contemplate how I would have to give this man mouth to mouth because I had no barrier mask and I did not know this man. I was prepared to do what I needed; however, as I was about to mouth to mouth he began to breathe again. I was relieved, yet he continued again to seize violently. I again moved the gentleman to his side. At this time was a large crowd very curious about what was going on. Thankfully, he stopped seizing and regained consciousness. Everyone was thankful, and I began to question the gentleman about this episode to see if he had done this before. He stated that his name was Andrew and he had just left the Kenyatta Hospital because they turned him away. He said that he has epilepsy and he had run out of medications but with no way to pay for them, the hospital couldn’t help him. I asked him for the types of medicines he needed and gave him Duncan’s number. He was very greatful for our help and stated that we saved his life. We explained that we were having a medical camp coming up and requested that he came so that we could get the medicines that he needed. It was a very unexpected event and also sad because we know that even if we help him get medicines, how long would that last?

1 comment:

  1. Wow Jenny. Way to respond with such concern if you hadn’t ran over like you did God only knows what would have happed to Andrew. You were ready for what ever came next that’s what kind of person you are, awesome. My heart and prayers go out to you and your team enjoy the rest of your time in Africa.

    ReplyDelete